Hurricane Preparedness & Procedures
The hurricane season begins June 1st and ends November 30th. The Jefferson Convention & Visitors Bureau, Inc. works closely with all local, regional and state officials and agencies to enure the safety of our team, members, clients, visitors and community. We monitor the Gulf closely and communicate when a threat of a storm develops maintaining communication before, during, and after a storm/emergency/disaster.
Sign up for general alerts from Jefferson Parish by Texting JPALERT to 888777. Spanish Speaking Residents can text JPNOTICIAS to 888777
Helpful Business Links:
- Louisiana Business Emergency Operations Center
- Insurance Resources – Louisiana Department of Insurance
- Disaster Help Desk for Businesses – US Chamber of Commerce Foundation
- Flood Insurance Facts from GNO, Inc.
- Emergency Supply Checklist from FEMA: Click for downloadable PDF
- Preparing your business before a hurricane
ROUTES/ MAPS/ ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
National Weather Service: weather.gov
National Hurricane Center: nhc.noaa.gov
Louisiana State Police severe weather hub: getagameplan.org
State of Louisiana Emergency Website: gohsep.la.gov/emergency/
For road closures: 511la.org, dial 511 or 888-ROAD-511 (888-762-3511)
Jefferson Parish Police Department: jpso.com
Louisiana Shelter & Evacuation Information: Text lashelter to 898-211 for up to date shelter information or click here
Entergy Storm Center: entergynewsroom.com/storm-center
Entergy help hotline: 1-800-368-3749 (ENTERGY)
Federal Emergency Management Agency: Fema.gov or dial 1-800-624-FEMA (3362)
Jefferson Transit: jeffersontransit.org
Jefferson Parish School District: www.jpschools.org
Jefferson Parish Mental Health Helpline & Website: 1-800-256-2522 I Online Resources
United Way: louisiana211.org
American Red Cross: www.redcross.org
Volunteer Opportunities: https://volunteerlouisiana.gov/
LOCAL NEWS CHANNELS & RADIO STATIONS
- 4WWL - Channel 4
- WDSU - Channel 6
- WVUE - Channel 8
- WGNO - Channel 26
- WWL - 870 AM
- National Weather Alert Radio Stations: Click here to view all Louisiana stations
Items Not Allowed at Parish Assisted Evacuation Sites
All citizens entering the Public-Assisted Evacuation must adhere to the following conditions:
- One suitcase or clothing bag per citizen that is no larger than 30” x 16” in size. All baggage must sit in the citizen’s lap and cannot be placed in the aisle of the bus.
- No pets of any type are allowed on the buses, unless they are placed in a cage or kennel.
- No weapons of any kind, including firearms, knives, mace etc. are allowed on the buses.
- No illegal drugs or substances are allowed on the buses.
- No alcohol will be allowed on the buses.
- No ice chests except those that are one gallon in size and smaller will be allowed.
- No other items such as chairs, large radios etc. will be allowed on the buses unless contained in the one 30 x 16-inch suitcase allowed to each evacuee.
- No smoking will be allowed inside of a bus at any time during the evacuation process.
JEFFERSON PARISH RESERVES THE RIGHT TO DENY EVACUATION TO ANYONE THAT VIOLATES THESE RULES OR IS UNRULY OR UNCOOPERATIVE.
New Orleans’ Playful Neighbor
Nestled next to our famous neighbor, New Orleans, Jefferson offers a vibrant night life, as well as the quiet serenity of a nature walk. Our communities are comprised historic homes, fishing piers,... See More
Location: Gretna, Kenner, Westwego
Go beyond the history of the city of New Orleans and take a more in depth look at the history of the Mississippi River region. Jefferson hugs both the east and west banks of the Mississippi and plays... See More
A Culinary Craze
Jefferson Parish restaurants are among Louisiana’s best, offering the freshest ingredients, specialty dishes and friendly staff. Louisiana is known as a culinary epicenter offering a variety of... See More
The Beautiful Bayou
Location: Jean Lafitte
Discover the natural wonders of the Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve. With a unique ecosystem the preserve is a representative example of the delta's environment, containing natural... See More
Louisiana's Only Inhabited Barrier Island
Location: Grand Isle
The State of Louisiana maintains a mile of beach front at Grand Isle State Park on the easternmost staying e park looks out toward nearby Grand Terre island, once the lair of the legendary pirate (or... See More