Member News & Updates
In an effort to keep our members informed of what's happening around the parish information on economic development impact, openings, events, milestones, and member accolades is provided below. For detailed information please contact the JCVB Director of Marketing, Terrie Birkel at firstname.lastname@example.org
2015 JCVB State of Tourism in Jefferson Parish Review
- The JCVB attended over 16 tradeshows marketing Jefferson Parish as a destination for meetings and events. The year-to-date lead conversion ratio for 2015 is 67.05 %. As of fall of 2015, there are 55 leads pending with 45,981 room nights.
- April 2015, Jefferson Parish hosted the inaugural Indy Grand Prix of Louisiana held at NOLA Motorsports Park.
- May 2015, The Association of Volleyball Professionals (AVP), along with the City of Kenner and the Greater New Orleans Sports Foundation hosted the return of Pro Beach Volleyball Tour to the New Orleans area for the first time in 16 years. The AVP New Orleans Open was held May 22-24 - Memorial Day weekend - at Coconut Beach, Laketown in Kenner.
- June 2015 brought the much anticipated opening of the Jefferson Performing Arts Center under the direction of Dennis Assaf and management of SMG.
- The Courtyard by Marriott, Gretna opened with 123 rooms.
- Summer 2015, Ground was broken to usher in the Homewood Suites along Severn Avenue in Metairie with an anticipated opening of spring 2016 and the Holiday Inn Express Airport along Veterans Memorial Boulevard – anticipated opening has not been reported to date.
- August 2015 the Best Western Landmark Plus unveiled the renovated ‘Copeland Tower’ – 95 “condo-style” suites each offering 750 sq. ft. of comfort and style.
- The Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport wrapped up its $300+ million Capital Improvement Program. And is presently focused on the Long Term Infrastructure Development Plan for the future of Armstrong International.
- Family Gras enjoyed record crowds in February 2015 with an estimated attendance of 100,000.
- Jefferson Parish carnival welcomed the Krewe of Athena which had their inaugural parade February 6, 2015.
- January/February 2015 the JCVB once again partnered with Councilwoman Cynthia Lee Sheng of District 5 to facilitate the 2015 Rhythm on the Route competition of Metairie’s Battle of the Bands.
- 2015 brought the Installation of 6 oyster sculptures along the Louisiana Oyster Trail in Jefferson Parish.
- 2015 kicked off the “Find Your Park” campaign running throughout the National Park Service’s 100th anniversary year in 2016. The JCVB partnered with the Barataria Preserve of Jean Lafitte National Historical Park in efforts to promote and educate visitors. The JCVB has included the Bayou Segnette & Grand Isle State Parks in its message of preservation and promotion of visitation to our treasured state parks.
- The Town of Jean Lafitte began the process of lease opportunity for the newly constructed & anticipated Jules Nunez Lafitte Fisheries Market which was built to highlight the area’s culture, heritage, and to aid local businesses with an influx of tourists to the area, while providing live entertainment, and a market for the sale of seafood and crafts.
- Restaurant des Familles located in Crown Point made the list of 15 Exceptional New Orleans Area Restaurants with Views.
- Bayou Barn located in Crown Point was nominated as the #1 epic spot to get married in Louisiana by ONLY IN YOUR STATE.
- The JCVB website, VisitJeffersonParish.com, received 230,910 visits year-to-date 2015, with the JCVB site, FishJefferson.com receiving 2,207 visits year –to-date 2015.
- August 2015 the JCVB launched the redesigned www.VisitJeffersonParish.com website, now mobile compatible.
- June 2015 the JCVB was awarded a 5 year contract renewal with Jefferson Parish to continue efforts in building economic impact through tourism/conference, travel-related business.
- In January 2015 the JCVB’s Senior Sales Manager & Kenner Liaison, Carolyn Barrett was honored by the Louisiana Society of Association of Executives as the Executive Member of the Year for her dedication and contributions.
- In July 2015 JCVB staff, Linda Maher, Director of Sales & Terrie Birkel, Director of Marketing & Communications received certification through the internationally recognized travel industry leader, Destination Management Association International as Certified Destination Management Executives (CDME) having completed a multi-year educational & certification course
Louisiana Tax Free Shopping reported the highest numbers in the decade following the devastating 2005 hurricane season. The overall dollar value of purchases rose sharply in 2015, up to $41.8 million from $32.5 million the previous year.
JEFFERSON PARISH recorded total sales of 52,777 with total purchases at $22,239,692.56
Got a renovation project going on?
New additions to your staff?
Package or idea to share...let the JCVB Communications Department know!